The July 1st NHL free agent frenzy had just about everything one could want. The day had trades, signings and the elusive offer sheet.
It didn’t take long for things to start to roll on Canada Day. The free agent frenzy market for 2019 opened up on July 1st at 12:00 noon.
Also Read: Is Phil Kessel The NHL’s Poker God?
The day started with some real big rumours of what was to come. Those rumours had a bunch of high profile players moving.
There also hadn’t been an offer sheet given since 2013. This didn’t stop the Montreal Canadiens though. They decided to plop an offer sheet down to the Carolina Hurricanes star forward Sebastian Aho.
Aho, who signed the offer sheet, had been in negotiations with the Carolina Hurricanes. The Carolina Hurricanes weren’t deterred by the offer sheet. Like the Bunch of Jerks often do, they tweeted out a cheeky response to it.
With that tweet it can be safely said that the Hurricanes weren’t fazed by the move. It is expected that at some point in the next week the team will match the offer.
The Montreal offer, which is super front loaded, would see an Average Annual Value of $8.454 million bucks. This deal would be for a 5 year period. The deal would also see the Canadiens send 3 draft picks Carolina’s way.
The CBA between the NHL and NHLPA have certain provisions both clubs have to follow. These provisions from the collective bargaining agreement can be found below.
Given the circumstances and the rarity of an offer sheet in today’s NHL, we will watch closely how it all plays out.
Moves Made During Free Agent Frenzy 2019
- Garnet Hathaway signed with the Washington Capitals $1.5 million per season 4 year deal.
- Ryan Murray signed 2 year extension with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Keith Kinkaid signed 1 year $1.75 million with Montreal.
- Brandon Tanev signed until 2024-2025 season with an AAV of $3.5 million with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Jason Spezza signs a 1 year deal worth $700k with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Mats Zuccarello signed 5 year $30 million with the Minnesota Wild.
- Oscar Fantenberg signed a 1 year deal worth $850k with the Vancouver Canucks.
- Artemi Panarin signs with the New York Rangers for $81.494 million over 7 years with a cap hit of $11.642 million a year.
- Matt Duchene signs a 7 year $56 million which includes a $28 million signing bonus.
- Valtteri Filppula signs a 2 year deal with the Detroit Red Wings.
- Tyler Myers signs a $30 million deal with. Vancouver Canucks.
- Alex Chaisson signed a 2 year deal with the Edmonton Oilers worth $2.15 million.
- Sergei Bobrovsky signed a 7 year deal worth $70 million with the Florida Panthers.
- Richard Panik signed a 4 year $11 million deal with the Washington Capitals.
- Nathan Beaulieu sims a 1 year deal with an AAV of $1 million.
- Joe Pavelski signed a 3 year $21 million with the Dallas Stars.
- Can Talbot signed a 1 year $2.75 million deal with the Calgary Flames.
- Tyler Ennis signs a 1 year deal worth $800k with the Ottawa Senators.
- Wayne Simmonds signs a 1 year $5 million with the New Jersey Devils.
- Kevin Gravel signs a 1 year $700K deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Luke Schenn signs a 1 year deal $700k with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Curtis McElhinny signs 2 years for $2.6 million to Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Timo Meir signs a 4 year $6 million with the San Jose Sharks.
- Anders Lee signs a 7 year AAV of $7 million with the New York Islanders.
There was also a blockbuster trade announced on Canada Day. The multi player deal was between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Colorado Avalanche.
The deal included Maple Leafs winger Nazem Kadri and Avalanche D-Man Tyler Barrie. This deal between the 2 teams also included Alex Kerfoot, Calle Rosen and additional draft picks by both teams.
This was an exciting Free Agent Frenzy that has made the Trade Deadline Day look like a lamb being led off to the slaughter.